Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lifehacker: Breakfast in a mug in one minute (and why are we only giving it ONE minute?)

Make Breakfast in a Mug in Just One MinuteWell, breakfast IS the most important meal of the day.  I think so many of us just don’t have the time, or maybe we aren’t hungry, yet?  I think caffeine in the coffee has a lot to do with suppressing the appetite when you get started with it early every morning.  I find that my appetite doesn’t come around until 10am after having coffee. Anyway, the evils of coffee and caffeine, no matter how good they taste, aren’t the point of this post.  The positive, that breakfast is important, healthy, and yes necessary, is the point. 

Here’s an article on Lifehacker.com that talks about how to do it quickly.  As mentioned, you can add any numbers of ingredients to spruce up the meal and make it even more healthy.  Getting something in your stomach in the mornings is putting you ahead of the game, anyway, though!

Interestingly, though, the comments part of the article is (as usual) one of the most interesting things about it,  There’s a debate about whether or not reducing breakfast to one minute means that we seriously need to consider how packed, filled, and fast-paced our lives has become.  This is what I am putting my money – we need reset our priorities when it comes down to needing tips like this, eh?  It’s not that we don’t want to do things that are quick and easy, but there’s something to be said for Quality of Life and taking our time with such essential things as our health and having healthy bodies and minds.

So, here’s my compromise:  I was a cook in the Army and have been cooking for 25 years.... I liked this idea enough to read the article, but the commenters are mostly right I think.  I don't seem to have time to eat in the mornings.  It does ONLY take two minutes to cook an egg in a pan and it tastes better.  Many here have mentioned cleaning the pan and how long that takes, but for my life it makes sense to simply put the pan back into the oven (with the spatula as well) so that you can take it out again the next day or the day after.  Wash it once a week, at most.  Either cast-iron, or non-stick, you're only talking about some oil left in the pan, which doesn't mean it's "dirty."  And, it doesn't go bad or make you sick.  So, that's even easier. 

As an after thought, I just want to add here that for my life, I want to be more healthy, eat the breakfast even if I’m not hungry – or, at least, change some things so that a normal hunger is what I wake up with!  so, maybe it’s time to prioritize things like rest, going to sleep earlier, trying to resist the natural inclination of a student to stay up later and later at night.  The morning is such a beautiful and peaceful time.  The night can be peaceful, too, so I vacillate between which is more peaceful.  The point is that I need and love peace and quiet.  I need to move to the woods :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment